Thursday, November 14, 2013

July 18, 2013


Okay, it has been several days since I have blogged so I must blog now. Nothing has really changed in the last couple of days. This past weekend was the most interesting in terms of fun stuff like bungie jumping, but in the last couple of days, nothing special. In the last couple of days, we have been working in the hospitals and learning a lot about TB (Tuberculosis) and HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus). HIV and TB are the two most common diseases here in t         he South Africa and I wonder why. Smoking and Drinking are two common acts here in South Africa and TB is usually caused by smoking. But my question is, in the US, we have several Americans who smoke and don’t contract TB has fast and rapid as does here in the South Africa. Its interesting.

 

Now, before I left America, I was informed about something called Culture Shock. At the time, I had no idea what that was or even would feel like. Well, let me tell you, I feel it! I am starting to miss a lot of small things that I have in the US. I am beginning to get irritated with how they treat women and men here in South Africa. I am getting irritated with the driving laws and regulations. Today is Mendella day and I am a little worried with how this country will respond to this day. The inner workings of the hospitals are beginning to get a little irritating. There are a lot of things that I miss and I know its culture shock because here in South Africa, they absolulety believe in in putting Butter and Margin on just about everything and its getting really disgusting. I have asked my homestay mother several times to not put butter on our PEA NUT BUTTER AND JELLY SANDWHICH (right, disgusting!) and she still does it because it is a part of her culture. It is things that I am not use to that is getting to me lol! But I know that this will be so beneficial for me when I return. I was in the shower and I told myself that I cannot wait until classes start, but then I soon realized that I will be taking Organic Chemistry and soon began to appreciate where I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment